Positions that we recruit for

Principals and Administrators
Licensed Teachers
College Instructors
Pre K-12 Teachers

Teachers for: ESL, Academic English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Literature, Humanities, Science, Geography, Chemistry, Biology, Computer, World History, Music, Fine Arts, Drama, Finance, Economics, Management, PE, ICT...

Job Qualifications and Application Process

The Chinese government has certain requirements that all teachers must meet in order to be awarded a work ‘Z’ visa.

Am I qualified to teach in China?

*Please note, the following requirements may differ according to the specific position applied for.


  • Bachelor’s Degree 
  • TEFL/TESOL 120 Hours certification minimum (CELTA/DELTA/PGCE/QTS preferred)
  • Have an understanding and ability to teach pupils of all abilities
  • English teaching positions require citizens of UK, USA, Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, or South Africa for visa purposes.
  • Subject teaching positions require candidates with relevant teaching background in selected subjects. IGCSE, A-level and/-or IB teaching experience preferred.
  • Previous experience in an international school preferred

When Should I Apply for the Job?

You can apply at any time. There is no deadline for applications. We accept teachers year round.

It usually takes 2-3 months to process a Z visa for China. If you are looking to teach in China, it’s really best to apply to us 3-4 months before you are looking to arrive.

What is the CanGoChina Application Procedure?

  1. Submit online application.
  2. When your application is received, you will be contacted by an advisor at CanGoChina.
  3. Submit Resume and Degree.
  4. Schedule an interview. 
  5. Match with school.
  6. School Interview.
  7. Hiring Process and sign the contract.
  8. Submit Required documents. 
  9. Receive work permit from the school.
  10. Apply for the work ‘Z’ visa.
  11. Make travel arrangements. 
  12. Arrive in China!

How to apply for a Work ‘Z’ Visa to teach in China

To teach in China you will need to ensure that you have the right paperwork in place and that you have passed all the necessary procedures to obtain your legal work Z visa.

CanGoChina’s Professional Advisor will work with you to go through the entire procedure. The following documents will be needed to obtain the work permit and for your work Z Visa.

Documents to be submitted to the school

1) Authenticate your certificates:

  • Degree Certificate  
  • ‘No Criminal Record background check - Attain a No Criminal Record Check from the relevant authority.

In the US

Checks can be issued at the state or federal levels. You must confirm with the school about their requirements. 

 You must use your home state website and contact the Criminal Justice Information Service (CJIS) to request a form that provides evidence to prove that you have no criminal history. You will need to apply for an FBI Background check, Please keep in mind that this can take 8-10 weeks to complete. (http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks)

  • TEFL / TESOL Certificate with 120 hours

2) Resume

3) Passport Page

4) Physical Check – Some schools may require you to complete the ‘Physical examination record form’ whilst still in your home country.

5) Reference Letter

6) Work Permit Cancelation Certificate (If teacher is in China with work ‘Z’ Visa)

Which Documents should I prepare While applying for my Chinese Visa?

  • Work Permit – From School, Issued by Chinese Government 
  • Chinese Visa Application Form
  • A Valid Passport Book – Should be valid for another 6-12 months.  
  • 1 Visa photo 
  • Application fee

After You Arrive in China

Resident Permit

Your Z visa is generally only valid for 30 days, starting from the day your passport is stamped at a port of entry in China.Teachers are generally responsible for the cost of their visa. Once you arrive in China, your visa will be converted to a Residency Permit which allows you to live in China. You’ll also be expected to take a full medical examination.